Thursday, April 14, 2016

Kelvingrove Museum James Guthrie Study

This was a bit of a fiasco but we worked it all out and I got the studies done!  Honestly, it is an absolute pleasure to do these studies.   I am learning but it is still much easier to paint from a painting than from a person sitting in front of you!

Here I am with study #1  of "Old Willie".  It is a close up detail so I can have some "room to paint".   I am at the Kelvingrove in front of another masterpiece by Guthrie.  I think his chunky brush shaped forms may have inspired Ann Gale?  I feel a real affinity for this work.
 Study #1 of the "Old Willie" painting.


This was the start of my second study...I was a bit rushed.  Looking back this feels so line driven I think I got fixated on the planes of paint instead of the planes of the head!  I had to finish in a hurry so I did not yet correct the asymmetry of the eyes....lots to learn.

Here is study 2 finished.  I really shrunk his shoulders...one of many mistakes.


Here is a detail of study #2...I could have defined that shine on his nose much better...I tweaked this with a small round bristle brush at the end..it left so many tracks...oh well on to the next one.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, I also would like to comment over all the points mentioned in this blog. I agree with essence of few point but somewhere I found myself on other place. I hope, there might little opinion of others as well.เรียน ielts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is really helpful for my database. It enhanced the area of my thoughts and pushed me beyond the boundaries. Work ethic of every point is different and represent a new way to improve myself.ติว sat

    ReplyDelete